Are you waking up periodically throughout the night? Do you have a sore back in the morning? Does your mattress just not feel as comfortable as it used to? Then, it may be time for a new mattress. Most mattresses last for about 7-8 years before the support starts to wear down. It is your most used piece of furniture, after all.
So you need a new mattress, but where to begin. Gone are the days of a one size fits all mattress, hello to the days of a customized sleep experience so you can get the perfect night’s rest. Buying the perfect mattress is a major purchase, but don’t let that overwhelm you. We have gathered together some of the most important steps that can help you choose your next mattress.
- Set a budget. There is a mattress out there for every budget. Choose a budget you are comfortable with and do not let pushy salespeople steer you away from your budget. But do remember that it’s your most used piece of furniture so consider it an investment.
- Do your research. Get online to research what other people are saying about stores in your area. You want to see the local companies that have the best reviews and best reputation. Don’t waste your time on companies that are not up to par. You want a product that is quality and you want to go to a store with excellent customer service. Also, most companies will have promotions or special offers throughout the year so be sure to check those out.
- Rely on a pro. Work with knowledgeable salespeople who will listen to your needs and guide you to the perfect mattress. Ask questions also.
PRO TIP: Ask your salesperson how long they have worked at the store. The average mattress salesperson has worked less than a year. Be sure you have someone with YEARS of experience.
- Test it out. That’s why the mattresses are in the showroom. Lie down on the bed and get yourself in your normal sleep position to make sure it’s a good fit for you.
- Just in case. Ask about the exchange policy just in case you realize your new mattress just isn’t what you need.